TOMATO & LENTIL TEFF TARTDecember 16, 2015
|Serves: 4 serves|
Gluten-free teff pastry! It is so crispy and delicious and very simple to make. A tasty creation I come up with one sunny spring day that makes the perfect brunch dish, or dinner accompaniment. Warming and fresh, this one is sure to please. And with it being vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and extraordinarily nutritious, it definitely will! Find all the beneficial constituents of Teff here
For: 4 serves
- 1.5 cups teff flour
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch basil leaves washed and picked
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp rosemary (or choice of herbs)
- salt and pepper to taste
- freeze the olive oil in a small container.
- Once frozen, pulse the teff flour and sea salt in a food processor, before adding the now frozen olive oil. Pulse a few times to break apart.
- Add the cold water in, continuing to pulse until the mixture is crumbly. It should be quite sticky.
- Roll the dough into a ball between your palms, and then place the ball onto a large non-stick baking sheet.
- Fold the baking sheet over and press down firmly on the ball to flatten between the two sheets, forming a “disc”. Wrap the disc up and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or up to 3 days.
- When the dough is ready, preheat oven to 180 C.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the disc, then take the teff pastry and press it into a springform tart or cake pan. It’s ok if it is a bit crumbly, just use your fingers to press together firmly, ensuring no gaps, until a solid crust forms.
- Pulse the lentils, basil, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a food processor until the mixture forms a lentil pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spatula, spread the lentil pesto across the doughy crust in a thick layer.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes into quarters and scatter on top. Sprinkle with rosemary or herbs of choice, salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 20-30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!