Colon Hydrotherapy is an ancient wellness treatment that is becoming more popular as people are becoming focused on cleansing and detoxification. I have been visiting Leanne McGraw, owner of Release Wellness Centre, for years now, and can truly attest to not only the benefits of colonics, but the particularly professional and educational experience I have with her every time. Leanne is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to health, with a passion for digestive health and a strong long-held belief in the benefits of colon hydrotherapy. Having been in this industry for over a decade, Leanne has kindly offered a thorough explanation on everything you ever wanted to know about this amazing wellness therapy.
WHAT IS THE RELEASE WELLNESS DIFFERENCE?
Release Wellness offers gravity-centered colonics, based on the original method used by Dr. Robert Woods and Dr. Norman Walker. This method allows for a simultaneous in/out flow, meaning water enters and exits at the same time, preventing water retention and discomfort. No machines, motors, or pumps are used, as they are in a pressurized system. Gravity-centered colonics gently awaken the natural peristaltic motion of the colon, rather than taking over the function of the organ itself. This allows for a comfortable and non-aggressive treatment that is much more thorough and healthier long term than a pressurized colonic.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR TREATMENT…
The Wood’s Gravity System is a closed system, which relies on gravity to facilitate the gentle movement of water into and out of your body. The release of matter from your body is based on: 1) your colon’s natural peristaltic action which is stimulated by the water, 2) gentle pressure point and abdominal massage administered by the therapist, and 3) gentle pulsing of the tubing which carries water and waste out of your body.
To receive the treatment, you will be reclining on a cushioned table and you will be covered with a drape sheet throughout the session for privacy. A highly trained therapist administers the treatment, guiding you through the experience while using pressure points and gentle massage.
The colon is the main repository of accumulated waste in the body. If left too long, this waste becomes impacted and septic, increasing the risk of toxins seeping back into the bloodstream and infecting the entire body. No organ or cell in the body can function optimally without a fresh supply of clean, oxygenated blood, so the state of the colon is a vital component of overall health. A toxic, acidic colon is a breeding ground for bacteria and disease, and a major contributing factor in some of today’s most serious health conditions, including acidosis, cancer, heart disease and obesity. An impacted colon will cease to function properly, causing nutrient malabsorption, bloating, cramping and constipation – symptoms that all further amplify the problem. The average person on a typical Western diet will be carrying around several kilograms of impacted, toxic waste material in their colon. Properly administered colon cleansing, along with the consumption of fresh vegetable juices and a healthy, clean diet, are key to effective detoxification of the body.
CAN’T THE BODY ELIMINATE WASTE ON ITS OWN?
The body does eliminate waste on its own, however the effectiveness of which is dependant on diet, bowel strength and how unobstructed a person is. Most people today were raised on a diet high in refined and processed food, much of which the body cannot eliminate entirely. These foods also promote the growth of putrefactive bacteria in the gut, suppressing the amount of good bacteria, which your body needs to ‘mop up the mess left behind’. After decades or even just years of a modern diet, waste builds up and accumulates in the bowels, becoming impacted in the spongy tissue of the colon, which stretches to accommodate the waste. As the colon becomes impacted, it becomes more difficult to move our bowels with efficiency, thus increasing the problem. Even if you think you are moving your bowels on a regular basis, one or two movements per day still does not account for the common consumption of three meals and environmental toxins being processed by the body on a continued basis.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST FROM YOUR COLONIC EXPERIENCE…
PRE: The Days Leading Up To & The Day of Your Colonic Appointment:
- Consuming water containing and alkalising drinks and food is the best ways to assist in breaking up toxic matter in your system.
- Drink fresh pressed vegetable juices on an empty stomach, not with your meals or immediately after.
- Improve your detoxification process by simply incorporating a leafy green salad BEFORE all your cooked meals. Avoid oil heavy dressings. Instead use lemon/lime juice, fire tonic, small amount of macadamia nut oil, pine nuts or sunflower seeds, or avocado.
- Eat as many water containing vegetables as possible. Choose cucumber, celery, lettuce, spinach, avocado, tomato, carrots, sprouts, and radish. Refrain from raw broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage as they can be gas forming, you can have these lightly steamed. Roasted vegetables including pumpkin and sweet potato can be added to salads.
- Avoid processed/packaged foods, eggs, gluten, animal protein, dairy, alcohol and anything carbonated (i.e. soda, seltzer, sparkling water)
POST: Food Suggestions for the Day of Your Colonic Appointment:
- Start your day with a fresh pressed vegetable juice for optimum results in your colonic session
- Avoid too much solid, dense food. Fresh fruit, blended smoothies or soups, toasted gluten free bread with mashed avocado + sea salt and all of the vegetables mentioned above are great choices.
- Stay hydrated the day of your appointment but avoid drinking the hour before
- Avoid solid food for three hours before your appointment
- Move your body and sweat daily to help flush your lymphatic system: walking, jogging, yoga, rebounding, sauna, detox baths are all good choices. Dry skin brushing can also stimulate your lymphatic system.
- Supplement with magnesium chloride in the evenings leading up to your colonic to help loosen toxic matter.
Release Wellness Centre is located at 630 King Street Newtown, Sydney 2042
Stay up to date with Release Wellness Centre by visiting their website www.releasewellnesscentre.com following them on instagram: @releasewellnesscentre