Easy, peasy! And better than any boxed cereal. A simple bowl of oats with just a few superfoods like flaxseeds, raw nuts and seeds and cinnamon is a great way to start a cold or warm day. Follow these easy steps for a nutritious, satiating, omega-3-rich, blood-sugar stabilising everyday brekky…
For: 1 person
- 1/3-1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2/3-1 cup water (basically, double the liquid to oat ratio)
- 1/4-1/3 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 3 walnuts crushed
- Sprinkle seeds of choice (sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, chia, hemp etc)
- 2 tsp stevia/xylitol
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract/powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (more/less to your tastes)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 handful berries (fresh or frozen)
- In a medium saucepan, bring your oats and water to the boil over medium heat, uncovered - about 5 minutes.
- Lower to a simmer, and cover the saucepan with the lid. Heat for a further 4-5 minutes. Lift the lid to stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in any or all of the following: almond/coconut milk, ground flaxseeds, stevia, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with berries, crushed walnuts, a sprinkle of seeds and extra cinnamon.
- Note: you can replace nuts/seeds with 1 tbsp nut butter or tahini if you desire.