The Best Banana Raspberry MuffinsOctober 15, 2016
I used to think it were impossible to bake muffins without eggs... now I know that not to be true at all! These vegan muffins are far healthier than your standard muffin, and are just as spongey and delicious. Banana and raspberry might seem a little boring, but these are the perfect compromise - not too decadent for an on-the-fly breakfast, but also perfect for that 4pm sweet craving. Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, sugar-free and so simple to make, there's no reason not to give them a go!
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup almond/coconut/rice milk (only use 1/2 if using liquid sweetener)
- 1/3 cup powdered stevia/xylitol, if using maple or coconut nectar, use 1/4 cup only
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup raspberries (I use frozen, but fresh also works)
- 3 tbsp tahini (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Combine the plant-based milk with apple cider vinegar and flax meal in a bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients - flour, meal, xylitol/stevia (if using), sea salt, baking powder and soda - in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat in a pan on the stove. Set aside.
- Mash together two bananas in a bowl, and stir through coconut oil, vanilla extract and milk mixture when ready. If using liquid coconut nectar/maple or other liquid sweetener, stir through now.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and use a whisk to combine.
- Line a muffin tin with non-stick patties.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin, there should be enough for 8-10 muffins.
- Place 3-4 raspberries per muffin, and any additional sliced banana on top. Note, this would also be when you stir through a drizzle of tahini if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to touch. Check with a cake tester.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes on a cooling rack before enjoying or allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to one week. Yummy!