Lentil & Mushroom Cottage PieFebruary 21, 2018
|Serves: 6 servings||Prep time: 10min.||Cook time: 45min.|
Difficulties: clean dinner/clean eating/health/healthy and hearty/healthy dinner/lentils/nutrition/plant-based/vegan cottage pie/vegan nutritionist/vegan recipe/vegan shepherds pie/weight loss
A hearty dish without being heavy. The ground flaxseeds not only help you reach your omega 3 intake for the day, but act as a bulking agent to make the lentil "mince" stay thick and stew-like. Cauliflower in place of potato mash keeps this dish weight-loss-friendly and light, whilst still tasting amazing!
For: 6 servings
- 600 g lentils (canned is fine)
- 500 g button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- 3 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 3 cloves garlics minced
- 1-2 tbsp. tamari sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemarys
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 2.5 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup almond/coconut milk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Set your oven to grill.
- Chop and steam the cauliflower for 20 mins, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, lightly stir-fry the leek, garlic and mushrooms for 5 mins.
- Add the spinach, lentils, Tamari, 2 tbsp ground flax, 1 sprig rosemary & a pinch S&P and cook for a further 3-5 mins.
- Line a baking dish with non-stick paper and scoop the mixture in. Once cauliflower is ready, roughly process with the nut yeast, nut milk and a pinch of S&P, until combined but not pureed.
- Cover the lentil mix with the cauliflower crust, sprinkle with 1 tbsp ground flax and decorate with the last sprig rosmary.
- Grill for 12-15 mins, until lightly golden.
- Use a large spoon to serve.