This dish keeps really well in the fridge for a week, if you don’t add the avocado, coriander and spinach until serving. It is a protein and fibre rich meal that makes the perfect lunch or dinner. So many textures and flavours! The savoury of the beans and quinoa, the creaminess of avocado, sweetness of corn, acidity of lemon/vinegar, spice of cayenne, freshness of coriander and spinach! Yum!
For: 4 - 6 servings
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 1 large avocado
- 2 cobs corn
- 400g organic black beans (1 can, preferrably organi no added salt), drained, rinsed
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 bunch coriander leaves chopped
- 4-6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves (to serve)
- 1 lemon juice only
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider or coconut vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch cayenne powder
- cracked black pepper
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water and the quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the water is absorbed and the grains are soft (approx 12-15 mins).
- Meanwhile, prep the other ingredients - dice the onion, shave corn, slice avocado, chop coriander leaves and drain the canned beans, rinse well and set all aside.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl using a fork, until thoroughly combined.
- Once the quinoa is ready and fully absorbed, scoop it out into a large serving bowl and mix with the dressing.
- Toss through the onion, corn and beans.
- Then, scatter the dish with the avocado and coriander leaves, so as not to "mash" the avocado in.
- Serve atop spinach leaves on/in individual plates or bowls.