Not only is homemade pesto better for you than store bought, it certainly is better tasting! And you can make it with just about any nut or seed I’ve found out, so throw in a cup of whatever you have on hand and enjoy some varieties. Cashews give it a “cheesey” quality, and the coconut is a nice tropical touch (still dreaming of Kauai!). Simple few ingredients, 1 step (blend away) and P(R)ESTO it’s ready!!! Enjoy it on gluten free pasta, quinoa, rice, konjac or zucchini noodles, as a chunky dip, in your eggs, or use a tbsp with some additional lemon juice, oil and vinegar for a salad dressing. Raw, vegan-friendly, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and with no nasties whatsoever. Pure & whole!
- 1 large bunch fresh basil washed, leaves picked
- 1 /2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup desiccated/shredded coconut
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp filtered water (less or more for desired consistency. I tend to think this is a good amount for a dip, and use an extra tbsp of water if not using olive oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender and blend until desired consistency. If using it as a pasta sauce, double the water amount and blend for longer until a thick, creamy texture forms. If enjoying as a dip, it should be slightly chunky, but well-blended and creamy!