Remember jaffa’s? They were always my movie treat! Which is funny because chocolate-orange isn’t my go-to flavour. However, as I prefer low-sugar snacks, which means no dried fruit in my bliss balls, I decided to experiment with orange rind. I absolutely love these! Far better than any chocolate orange cake or candy bar I have come across! And loaded with goodness too. These Bites have bountiful benefits for all your beauty bits – hair, skin, nails – as well as boost brain function, cellular response and repair, calcium intake, sex drive and balance hormones. I’ve used a few different nuts and seeds to get a variety of nutrients into each bite! Full of essential fatty acids, selenium, zinc, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin E, B vitamins and protein! Enjoy 1-2 for morning or afternoon tea.
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 serving vanilla protein (I use NuZest vegan clean lean protein, you can leave this out if making for dessert)
- 2-3 tbsp stevia (to your desired sweetness, raw cacao tends to be bitter which is why we need this. Or another sweetener of choice)
- 1.5 oranges,s rind only
- 1 tbsp maca powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup filtered water or use juice of orange for extra sweetness and flavour
- pinch sea salt
- Place all ingredients except the rind and juice/water into a food processor and blend for 20 seconds, until a grainy powder forms.
- Add the zest and pulse several times.
- Pour in the juice/water and blend for a final 20 seconds. The mixture should resemble a cookie dough-like batter. If too dry, add more liquid, if too liquid add more desiccated coconut.
- Using your hands, take a ping-pong sized amount of batter and roll into a ball. Roll into more orange zest, cacao powder (be careful as it will make it more “bitter”), desiccated coconut or keep plain. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Place bites in Tupperware and store in the fridge for the week.