Crispy Chickpeas – A great “by-the-handful” nut alternative!May 17, 2016
|Serves: 2 - 4 serves||Prep time: 5min.||Cook time: 30min.||Passive time: 15min.|
If you're like me - a few nuts are never enough! A tasty swap, that still gives you that crunch we all crave when we are going in by the handful, are crispy roast chickpeas. Mix and match your spices, garlic powder is a great minced garlic alternative, or try adding some dulse flakes, turmeric, curry powder, cayenne etc. The spice drawer is full of tasty options. And seriously, no oil necessary... I am a fan of healthy fats but personally, prefer to eat them in their wholefood form - raw nuts and seeds, avocados, olives, coconut... I do use quality oil where necessary, but this recipe simply doesn't call for it. Just be sure to dry them well in the first step, that is the key to getting a nice crispy crunch! Enjoy xx
For: 2 - 4 serves
- 400g chickpeass cooked
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 C, fan-forced. Lay a clean tea towel on your kitchen top, and spread out your cooked chickpeas. Using a second clean tea towel, cover them to completely dry the chickpeas.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and scatter the chickpeas on top.
- Sprinkle with cumin, paprika, sea salt and the minced garlic. Using your hands, thoroughly coat the batch.
- Place the chickpeas into the oven for 20 minutes. Take them out and toss before returning them for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.