Daniel’s Baked Cauliflower “Fried Rice”February 28, 2017
|Serves: 4 servings|
My brother came up with this dish for family dinner. The slow-baking is really just to dry it out, to better keep the cauliflower crumbs in tact. This is a serious flavour and texture sensation! Better than any fried rice, and without the MSG, sugar, preservatives, gluten etc. you might find at a restaurant. Cauliflower rice is an amazing way to get in an abundance of vegetables, especially liver-loving cruciferous veg. Fill it with your favourite veggies, or use his choices below. You won't be disappointed 🙂
For: 4 servings
- 1 head cauliflower (chopped into florets)
- 1 cup purple cabbage shredded
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms of choice roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 cob corn kernals only
- 1/2 capsicum chopped
- 1 tin bamboo shoots roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (lightly toasted in a dry pan on high heat for 3 mins, tossing occasionally)
- 1/2 brown onion diced
- 1/2 purple onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 400g can beans or legumes of choice (optional)
- Place your florets (as many as can fit comfortably in your device) into your blender/processor, and pulse until crumbs form. Repeat until all cauliflower is crumb-like. Set aside in a bowl until finished.
- Spread the cauliflower crumbs thinly over lined baking trays and place in the oven on the lowest temperature possible, for 1-2 hours to "dry out".
- When dry, not baked, remove the cauliflower from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds and chop the veggies as instructed above.
- Add 2 tsp coconut oil to a pan and heat to melt. Add the onions and carrots, cooking until softened, or until onions become translucent.
- Next, add the minced garlic and capsicum to the pan, toss and cook for a 2 minutes.
- Throw the chopped mixed mushrooms in with 2 tbsp tamari sauce and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, peas and bamboo shoots, stirring to combine.
- Now, add the dried cauliflower rice and mix through all the vegetables well. Add another 2 tbsp Tamari, and heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan of veggies from the heat and add the corn kernels to the pan, stirring again until thoroughly combined.
- Add just 1/4 cup of the sesame seeds and toss.
- Plate the fried rice and drizzle another tbsp of tamari on top for serving, the other 1/4 cup sesame seeds, spring onions and any additional chili flakes you desire!