I crave this little treat at least twice a day! It is the perfect coffee replacement, bedtime brew, sweet spot treat or satiating snack. I love it with an egg based breakfast on a Sunday morning. Be warned, it can be quite filling. The more cashews you use the more creamy and decadent it will be.
Cashews are a fantastic source of minerals, boasting significant amounts of copper, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin K. All key to optimal wellbeing. The health benefits of turmeric are by now well documented – anti-inflammatory, powerful antioxidant, improves brain function, prevents chronic disease, aids digestion… It is definitely a spice I try to slip in where I can – eggs, stir fries, curries, cauliflower rice, dressings, marinades, smoothies… and this turmeric latte!
Combine these benefits with the healthy fats (in cashews) as well as the blood sugar stabilising effects of cinnamon and you have a powerful nutritious and delicious warming drink that will leave you satisfied and kick your coffee to the curb :p
- 1 cup coconut/almond milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1-2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean split, seeds scraped (you can place the pod in to heat however remove before blending)
- 1-2 tsp stevia (to taste. Or use maple syrup/raw honey)
- pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup soaked cashews (soak for 4+ hours, drain and wash before use)
- Sprinkle of cracked pepper (optional)
- In a small pot, warm all the ingredients except the cashews, over low heat. Place the lid on the pot and heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Pour the warmed milk mixture into your blender, together with the cashews (soaked, drained and washed). Blend for 1 minute, until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into a glass, and serve warm with additional spices sprinkled on top!