Lentil & Veggie Shepherds PieMay 11, 2020
Difficulties: clean eating/dairy-free/gluten-free/hearty/lentils/mash potatoes/nourishing/shepherds pie/soul food/vegan dinner/vegan recipe/vegan shepherds pie/whole foods
Hearty and delicious, this nourishing veg dish appeals to just about everyone! Mix and match your veg fillings, or change up the potatoes for sweet potatoes to keep it interesting... this one will be on high rotation in the house!
For: 6 servings
- 400 g cooked lentils (one can, drained and rinsed) *could use beans too
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms quartered
- 1 cup green beans OR broccoli (whatever you have on hand)
- 3 cloves garlics minced
- 500 g pasta sauce or canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Sea salt (or herbamare) and pepper to season
- 4 large white / dutch cream potatoess peeled, chopped (or 2-3 sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup soy or nut milk
- 2-3 tbsp. shredded vegan cheese or nutritional yeast
- Fresh rosemary (to top)
- Steam the potatoes until soft whilst you prepare the filling ingredients.
- In a large pan, sauce the onion and garlic in a little olive oil. 2-3 mins.
- Add in sliced carrot, celery and dried herbs. 5 mins.
- Add in the passata, Tamari, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning, mushrooms and green beans/broccoli or whatever additional veg of choosing. Cover and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 180 C fan forced.
- Once potatoes are steamed, mash them with the plant milk, vegan cheese/nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once veggies are cooked through, pour in strained lentils and mix through. Remove from heat.
- Pour the lentil veg mixing into an oven dish.
- Scoop mash over top of vegetables, using a fork to lightly pat them down evenly and form a secure solid topping.
- Garnish with rosemary, and bake for 40-45 mins.