Miso Glazed EggplantOctober 16, 2017
|Serves: 6 people||Prep time: 5min.||Cook time: 35min.|
Miso eggplant is a favourite dish of mine when dining out at a Japanese restaurant, but I know they can often be laden with unnecessary sugar, thickeners and often deep-fried in vegetable oil. This is a much cleaner version, to be enjoyed guilt-free and with love. I think it makes the perfect accompaniment to my Mushroom San Choy Bow 🙂
For: 6 people
- 3 large eggplants
- 2 tbsp miso paste (gluten-free & unpasteurised is best)
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce (gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Coconut Vinegar (optional)
- Pinch chilli flakes or powder
- Preheat oven to 200 C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- To eggplant, halve lengthways and use the tip of your knife to make medium slices in a criss-cross pattern (3 diagonal one way, 3 the other way). Place on baking tray, criss-cross side up.
- Bake eggplant on the middle rack, for 18-20 minutes whilst you prepare the sauce.
- Whisk all glaze ingredients together until thick and smooth.
- Once the eggplant is ready, use a brush to cover the criss-cross side in the glaze.
- Return to the oven, middle rack and bake for a further 12-15 mins.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 mins before serving. Delicious sprinkled with sesame seeds and chopped herbs.