Bircher muesli is a healthy household staple and a quick breakfast fix for those of you on the go. Prepare a large batch (this recipe will have you covered for 6 mornings!) on a Sunday and store in the fridge, taking a big scoop with you in a glass jar as you head out the door! If you are skeptical or haven’t tried it before, it is simply soaked oats with lots of superfood goodies for added fibre, protein and healthy fats. I make lots of different flavour combinations, so get creative! Don’t be intimidated by the variety of seeds I have used, you can most definitely stick to one type if you don’t have them all, or add a variety of your own. You can also divide this recipe in 4 and just make enough for one serving at a time 🙂
- 2 cups oats preferrably organic
- 3 cups (or half/half)
- 1/2 cup mixed pumpkin & sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp flaxseeds (or just use extra chia)
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 2 green appless grated (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt (optional)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (to serve, optional)
- 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- sprinkle cinnamon (optional)
- Soak the oats, water/almond milk, chia/flax seeds overnight.
- In the morning, or before serving, add in the apple, shredded coconut, almonds, spices, seeds, stevia and coconut yoghurt stirring through well.
- Serve with an additional dollop of coconut yoghurt, 1/4 cup berries (each serve) and extra cinnamon!
- Add 1 tbsp cinnamon and/or nutmeg for a spiced variety.