Red cabbage, ground flaxseeds, sea vegetables, mushrooms and miso are some of the most powerful foods we can keep in our kitchen. They are not only delicious, but are nutrient-dense – red/purple cabbage is one of, if not the highest source of antioxidants compared to any other food! Flaxseeds have been shown to regulate blood pressure and blood sugar, sea vegetables contain thyroid-healthy iodine and a variety of trace minerals, mushrooms are one of the only food sources of vitamin D, miso is a fermented product which provides beneficial probiotics… I could go on and on about the benefits of each of these foods! They are staples in my kitchen and I try consume them daily, and you should too! This is a very nutritious, light, cleansing, tasty concoction that will never leave you feeling deprived.
- 1/4 purple cabbage shredded with a sharp knife/mandolin
- 1 packet Konjac noodles (optional; if you can find)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (I like enoki or a variety of different types)
- 1-2 sheets nori/seaweed OR 2 tsp dulse flakes (to serve)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal (to serve)
- 1 tbsp unpasturised miso paste
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- Any other green veg you like, snow/snap peas work great! (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 avocado (to serve)
- Mince the garlic and allow it to sit in the pan whilst you prepare the other veggies.
- Thinly slice/shred the cabbage, chop the enoki mushrooms, tear up the seaweed if using.
- Begin to heat the garlic up in a little coconut oil, for 2-3 minutes.
- Throw in the cabbage and stir-fry for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, cook for a few more minutes, until mushrooms soften.
- Meanwhile, boil the kettle to prepare the noodles and miso.
- Prepare the Konjac noodles as per the packet (using the boiling water from the kettle).
- Use a few tablespoons of water to dissolve the miso paste in a small bowl, until liquid.
- Pour the tamari on top of the stir-fried veggies, lower the heat to a simmer. Add the noodles.
- Cover with the watered-down miso, stir and remove from heat.
- Plate, either atop a sheet of seaweed or in a bowl, and sprinkle with the ground flaxseeds, dulse and any herbs you choose. Add the sliced avocado, and enjoy!