N’egg-nog MuffinsDecember 17, 2016
|Serves: 8 muffins|
No-egg-nog (N'Egg-nog) muffins! Vegan take on the old classic, and then used to spice up these muffins to bring a hint of Christmas to your on-the-go breakfast, festive snack or sweet treat. Gluten-free, grain-free, naturally sweetened, vegan... and topped with N'egg-nog custard glaze Yep! Yummmm
For: 8 muffins
- 2.5 cups filtered water
- 1 + 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 204 hours, or overnight)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup NuZest Clean Lean Protein (optional)
- 6 medjool datess (soaked in boiling water for 10 mins)
- 1/4 cup stevia or maple syrup
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a high speed blender, blend 2 cups filtered water, soaked/drained/rinsed cashews, soaked dates, 1 tsp stevia, 1 tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp cloves, ½ tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla extract until smooth. This is your “n`egg-nog”!
- Pour 1 cup of this into a saucer and set aside.
- Next, throw in the last 1/2 cup of water, buckwheat flour, flaxseed meal, Nuzest, baking powder, soda, salt and the remaining stevia, spices and vanilla, and blend until well combined, about 20 seconds.
- Lastly, pour 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (save the 2 tbsp for the glaze) and lemon juice in and blend for a further 10 seconds.
- Line a muffin tray with patties and pour about the batter into each.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tbsp coconut oil into the remaining 1 cup of n`egg-nog.
- When the muffins are ready, allow to stand on a cooling rack 15-20 minutes.
- Scoop 2 tbsp of the n`egg-nog atop each muffin and spread out with the back of the spoon.
- Serve warm or place in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow the “glaze” to harden.
- Enjoy Christmas morning!