Peanut Butter Rice Crispy SquaresOctober 19, 2016
LCM bars were definitely a family favourite when I was younger, so these take me back to my childhood! This is a simple recipe with only a few required ingredients. It is so yummy! Makes the perfect lunch-box snack for kiddies or for yourself 🙂 Of course, healthy choc-chips are hard to come by, so sub cacao nibs, or anything else you desire - some ideas might be chopped dates or apricots, sultanas, crushed raw nuts, seeds, goji berries... whatever you have on hand. Throw in some cacao powder to the sticky mix for a more chocolatey variety. Tonnes of variations! Just be sure to pack it tightly into the pan and refrigerate before slicing them up. Enjoy these yummy healthy treats - gluten-free, vegan.
- 60 g Rice puffs
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds (optional, but recommended for a healthy boost!)
- 8 heaped tbsp coconut nectar/rice malt syrup
- 6 tbsp natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 5 tbsp dairy-free, sugar-free choc chips OR cacao nibs
- Throw the rice puffs into a large mixing bowl. Toss the flax through if using.
- In a pan, heat up the coconut nectar or sweetener of choice, until it begins to bubble.
- Next, stir through the PB, using a spatula, until both are combined and you have a smooth, sticky, sweet mixture. Add your vanilla extract in, stir.
- Pour the sweet PB mixture over the rice puffs, and use your hands to coat thoroughly.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, before adding the choc chips and tossing through.
- Line a baking dish with non-stick baking paper and scoop the sticky rice puffs in. Press it into the dish, using your finger tips to form one solid layer. Pack tightly!
- Place in fridge for one hour, before slicing into bars/squares using a sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container, in the fridge.