It’s not easy being cheesey! Especially with approx 70% of the world’s population being lactose intolerant 😉 This creamy lasagne is just what you need to kick a bad cheese habbit, as the pumpkin/nutritional yeast sauce will satisfy any craving! Dairy free, gluten free, vegan and without any store-bought sauces full of who-knows-what, this is the lasagne for you that your body (and family/friends) will love! Serve as a main with a side salad or some roast veggies. You can jazz it up with fresh herbs, chilli, or even a layer or two of napoliana sauce for variety.
For: 6 - 8 serves
- 400g Rice lasagne sheets / or lasagne of choice
- 2kg Butternut pumpkin cubed
- 400 ml 100% coconut milk
- 1/3-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 bunch curly kale chopped
- 1 large brown onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 400g canned organic brown lentils
- sea salt cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Scatter the cubed pumpkin onto a baking paper lined tray and bake for 30-40 mins, until soft.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool (leave oven on).
- Whilst pumpkin is baking, boil the lasagne sheets as instructed on package. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan or wok, cook minced garlic and onion in a little coconut oil.
- After 3 mins, add in the kale. Stir-fry for a further 5 minutes, until softened.
- Drain and rinse your lentils. Throw them into the pan combine well. Remove from heat.
- Once the pumpkin has cooled, remove skins.
- Throw pumpkin into a high-powdered blender with the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a deep baking dish, pour an even layer of the pumpkin sauce first.
- Next, add a row of lasagne sheets.
- Spread another layer of the pumpkin sauce over the sheets, followed by a layer of the kale/lentil mix.
- Continue this pattern - lasagne sheets, sauce, vegetables - until ingredients run out. I like to leave some veggies to sprinkle on top.
- Feel free to add any fresh herbs you choose.
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm!