Raw Pumpkin Pie with a Cookie CrustDecember 17, 2016
|Serves: 8 - 10 slices||Prep time: 30min.||Cook time: 45min.|
A great cake you can prepare in advance that is very low in sugar. I used only 1/2 cup coconut milk instead of soaked raw cashews to keep it lighter than other raw desserts, with the pumpkin itself providing ample thickness and sweetness! You can't go wrong with this one, it is not precious at all so just keep adding and blending to get the spices and sweetness suited to your tastes! Very festive, but definitely not restricted to Thanksgiving / Christmas, enjoy year-round!
For: 8 - 10 slices
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts/pecans
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup stevia, xylitol, coconut nectar or natural sweetener of choice
- 2 tbsp filtered water (to bind)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 cups chopped butternut pumpkin (about 700g raw without skin)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 3 heaped tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp stevia, xylitol or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or combo cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg - whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 C.
- Chop your pumpkin into cubes and bake for 45 minutes, until soft (check with a fork). Once ready, set aside to cool.
- Place all the dry ingredients for the crust into your food processor and process well, until nuts and oats are well broken down.
- Once crumby, add the coconut oil and water, processing to a dough.
- Line a cake tin or pie tin with non-stick baking paper, and use a spatula to scoop the crust dough into the base. Use fingertips to spread out and press down firmly, so there are no gaps or cracks.
- Once your pumpkin is finished roasting, place the crust in the oven on 180 C for 15 minutes.
- Throw your pumpkin into the processor with all filling ingredients except coconut milk and oil. Blend well, until pureed.
- Then add your coconut milk/oil and process again.
- Once the cookie crust is ready, remove from the oven and scoop the pie filling inside evenly.
- Cover with tin-foil and place in the freezer to freeze for 5 hours+ - I often do this overnight.
- When serving, allow to stand outside of the freezer for at least 45 minutes to soften. Alternatively you could place it in the fridge prior to dinner.
- Serve with coconut cream/yoghurt/ice-cream, scattered pumpkin seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Yum!