I made these for Valentines day, which is just around the corner, but could, and should, be made for any occasion! Not only is beetroot a rich source of fibre, folate and vitamins A and C, beets also support liver function and thus detoxification. In TCM they are said to assist with building blood and enhancing Qi (life-force). Often we shy away because they can be such a mess (or is that just me?!) but these ruby root vegetables are wonderful additions to a healthy diet. It just so happens to work perfectly here, where we need their gorgeous colour to create these crazy delicious love muffins! These are sweet, chocolatey, and oh-so pretty. They are also sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and super simple to make! Enjoy with a loved one with zero guilt!
For: 10 - 12 muffins
- RED VELVET CUPCAKE BATTER
- 4 medium beetroots boiled until soft
- 1.5 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Natvia natural sweetener (stevia)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- PINK CASHEW BUTTER FROSTING
- 3/4 cup raw, unsalted cashews soaked overnight, rinsed
- 2 tbsp Natvia natural sweetener (stevia)
- 1 tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- squeeze lemon juice
- leftover beetroot mixture in blender from cupcake batter (approx 1 tbsp worth)
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocao powder, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In your blender, add the coconut milk, ACV, beetroot, apple sauce, Natvia sweetener and vanilla extract in. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the beetroot mixture into the dry mix, and then set the blender aside for the frosting – we want a little beetroot mix to be left in there for colour (i.e. no need to wash it!)
- Use a whisk to incorporate into a batter in your bowl.
- Use cupcake liners to line your muffin tray, and place about 2.5 tbsp mixture into each (they should be approx. ¾ full).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Allow to sit at room temp at least 30 minutes before icing and serving.
- Best kept in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Blend all ingredients in your blender until smooth and creamy and a medium-light pink colour.
- Scoop into a small bowl and place uncovered in the freezer for 30-40 mins to thicken.
- Remove from freezer and mix well. Mixture should be creamy.
- Spoon 1 tsp onto each cupcake!