Savoury Sweet Potato Muffins with Avocado FrostingNovember 15, 2016
There is something about sweet potato, I just can't get enough! Sweet or savoury, it always goes down a treat. Thank goodness they're so good for you! With approx 4 grams of dietary fiber in one potato they also share vitamin C, many B vitamins, potassium and other minerals with us. Traditional cultures that survived largely on potatoes, rarely saw heart disease, diabetes or obesity among their populations. This is important to note as so many people are still afraid of good carbohydrates like potatoes, when really, it's often the fact that they are deep friend or laden with sauces that makes them unhealthy. In this muffin, sweet potato makes for a delicious sweet/savoury treat, and pairs nicely with vitamin E and essential fatty acid-rich avocado 🙂 Make these for breakfast or tea, or break one up into a salad like my fiance has been doing for lunches! They are perfection x
- 2 cups oats blend until it forms a flour
- 2.5 cups sweet potato steamed or baked
- 1 zucchini grated
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander,
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- sesame seeds to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 175 C, fan-forced.
- Once you have ground the oats to a flour and cooked your sweet potato, place your flax meal into a medium bowl with the water. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to absorb.
- Meanwhile, blend your sweet potato until it forms a puree. Add the almond butter, maple syrup, lemon juice and blend again.
- Next, place the baking powder, soda and oat flour into a medium bowl. Combine well.
- Stir the "flax egg" into the sweet potato puree.
- Then combine sweet potato/flax mix with the dry mixture. Add a splash or two of nut milk or water if required.
- Fold through the grated zucchini.
- Line a tray with a muffin tin lined with baking cups, and then scoop the muffin mix in.
- Place in the oven for 40-50 minutes. Check with a fork or skewer.
- In a small processor or using a hand-mixer, blend all the ingredients together to form a frosting.
- Lather each muffin in about 1-2 tbsp of the avocado smash.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, sprouts, chilli, fresh herbs etc. to serve. Enjoy!