I think I just about said all the ingredients required for this meal in the title! But how could I leave any of those delicious ingredients out? They’re all so good, so the combination is nothing short of AMAZING! Please do me a favour and try making these scrumptious rice balls yourself, I promise you won’t be disappointed. Both warm or chilled, they make a delicious main or are a great addition to salads as a falafel alternative.
Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free
For: 16 Rice Balls
- 2.5 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 cup sweet potato cooked
- 5 medjool dates pips removed
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp ground turmeric or curry powder
- 1/4 cup chopped raw nuts of choice, I used pecans
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (for rolling)
- pinch Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Once all ingredients that require cooking are cooked, add the sweet potato, tahini, spices, salt, pepper and de-pitted dates to a food processor and pulse together for several seconds. Until dates are chopped and sweet potato is semi-mashed.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and combine with the cooked brown rice.
- Gently stir through raw chopped pecans or nuts of choice.
- Begin to take about 2 tbsp worth of mixture at a time between your palms and roll until a ball forms. Don't worry if they are quite sticky or soft, just form a ping-pong sized ball with them.
- Scatter the sesame seeds on a plate, and roll each ball into them loosely, so as to not cover the entire ball in seeds (unless you would like a shell! In which case a lot more sesame will be required!).
- Roll them around a few more times between your palms to spread out seeds and get that perfect shape.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper, and spread the balls out.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes. They should firm up in this time. I also serve them cold and allow them to sit overnight in the refrigerator. They become very firm by this point.