A change of pace from regular oats, buckwheat is an under-utilised, gluten-free grain that lends a hearty, somewhat nutty flavour and texture. Not only is it gluten-free, it also has been shown to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as stabilise blood sugar (controlling appetite) and providing a delicious dose of both fibre and plant-based protein. Yay for buckwheat!
For: 1 person
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (soaked overnight, if you have time)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1-2 tsp Natvia stevia or natural sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch sea salt
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds
- Handful fresh fruit of choice
- Soak 1/2 cup buckwheat overnight.
- Drain buckwheat and place in saucepan with almond milk, spices, vanilla, natural sweetener, and sea salt. Cook for 15-20 mins.
- With a few minutes to go, stir in 1 tsp tahini. Allow to warm for remaining time frame.
- Remove from the stove, plate, add your chosen fruit, a drizzle of extra tahini (because it's so good!) and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.