A balanced salad: plenty of plant-based protein/healthy carb sources from the rice and chickpeas, plus loads of fibre, vitamin A and C rich veggies and beautiful fats from the avocado and almonds! Plus this dressing is out of this word yum! Take it to work, school or arrange it on your plate for dinner for a satiating meal 🙂
For: 1 person
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- small handful mint leaves chopped
- 1 stalk shallots sliced
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup chickpeas cooked (drained and rinsed if using canned)
- 1/4 avocado sliced
- 2 tbsp or 8 whole (approx) almonds crushed, lightly toasted
- CAJUN DIJON DRESSING
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp cajun spices
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- Bring 1 cup of rice and 1 and 3/4 cups water to the boil then place the lid on the pan, lower to simmer and allow to cook through for approx 20 mins. Use 1/3 cup of cooked rice for this recipe, and set the rest aside for another meal!
- Throw your freshly washed spinach, mint leaves and shallots in a bowl and toss well.
- Next, chop your almonds by hand or pulse in a blender and then throw them in a well-heated pan for 1-2 mins. Toss, and remove from heat, allowing almonds to cool on pan for another minute or two. They should be lightly browned.
- Once rice is ready, scatter it atop your greens, followed by chickpeas, avocado and finally almonds.
- To make the dressing simply shake all ingredients together in a jar. Pour over salad if serving immediately or keep in a separate container if taki\ng with you.