I came up with these specifically for Santa during our vegan Christmas! I will definitely be making them regularly. They remind me of Scotch Fingers – biscuits I used to adore when I was a child, especially dunked in milk. Well, I can safely say these are 100 times better for you and most definitely tastier! I love the texture – fresh out of the freezer they are firm and crisp, or you can allow them to sit for a few minutes for them to be a little chewier. As with most of my treats, they are so healthy they are totally mid-morning or afternoon snack-appropriate. A very easy recipe and entirely free from sugar and nasty preservatives like other shortbreads… Give them a go and see how delicious healthy treats can truly be!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup natural brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp xylitol or stevia (sugar-free, feel free to use maple syrup or natural sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped)
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- Blend all the base ingredients together in a food processor, adding the water as you go for consistency.
- When it forms a dough, press into a non-stick baking paper lined baking dish (with a little depth) to form a thick approx 1 cm base. Place in the freezer.
- After at least 1 hour, remove from the freezer and allow to sit for 1 minute to soften.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the shortbread into bar or biscuit size pieces. I used a fork to make three sets of four holes for decoration (similar to scotch fingers). Enjoy immediately or store in the freezer.