Sugar-Free Coconut RoughDecember 16, 2016
|Serves: 12 bars|
Full of coconut! This is a very decadent sweet treat, that although sugar-free, you probably only want/need a little. Coconut can be quite heavy. Nevertheless, it is delicious and definitely a crowd favourite! Another great idea is to make a big batch and give it out to friends as Christmas gifts. You can also store it in the freezer for weeks, meaning you don't have to eat it all at once 😉
For: 12 bars
- 1.5 cup desiccated coconut lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/4 cup Natvia natural sweetener
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (optional flavour variation)
- Lightly dry toast the desiccated coconut in a hot pan on the stove, until just golden.
- Then, using your food process, blend the coconut with the coconut flour, cacao, stevia and a pinch of sea salt until combined.
- Add the melted coconut oil, vanilla and any other extract you are using to the processor and process until thoroughly combined.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper. Use a spatula to scoop the wet mixture into the lined dish. Ensure it is not more than 1-2 cm deep. Sprinkle the top with the second pinch of sea salt and extra desiccated coconut for decoration if you like.
- Cover with a tea towel or tin-foil and place in the freezer to set for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove, allow to stand for 10 minutes, and slice into bars or squares. Enjoy!