SUPER CRUNCHY GLUTEN-FREE GRANOLAMay 4, 2018
Difficulties: chunky granola recipe/clean eating/fitfam/gluten-free granola/healthy breakfast/healthy eating/healthy granola/nutrient dense/nutritionist recipe/PCOS/plant-based nutrition/sydney nutritionist/vegan food/vegan granola/vegan nutritionist/weight loss
This is the best granola I've made. Better than store-bought! I am massive on chunks and good ingredients, and if you ask me this hits the nail on the head! Some of the ingredients might be a little tricky to find, such as rice bran versus bran and quinoa/teff flakes, so sub where necessary (I've provided suggestions). No oil required, simply enjoy the healthy fats from the delicious raw nuts, seeds and tahini. I also like to specify keeping the dried fruit out whilst you cook so it doesn't burn, as I find it usually does, but you can alter this to your personal preference. Keep this large jar on hand to top your favourite smoothie or smoothie bowl, sprinkle atop porridge, enjoy with coconut yoghurt and berries, or even mix through a chia pudding. It's full of fibre, antioxidants, healthy fats and even quite a bit of plant-based protein thanks to the complex grains and nuts! Healthy and delicious 🙂
- 2 cup Rice Bran/Bran
- 2 cup Quinoa/Teff flakes or Almond Meal/Pulp (leftover from making almond milk)
- 2 cup raw nuts (almonds, cashews, macadamias, walnuts etc) chopped
- 1 cup raw seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, ground flax, chia)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (figs, dates, apricots) chopped
- 4 tbsp. goji berries
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch or two 1/2 tsp sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160 C and line a large baking tray.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except goji and dried fruit) in a large mixing bowl. Toss to mix evenly.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, use a whisk to combine maple syrup and tahini until smooth. Note, you could add vanilla extract if you like.
- Pour the sweet tahini mix over the dry ingredients, using a spatula to ensure you get all of it, and then mix well to coat ingredients.
- Scatter your granola on your lined baking tray. Use your spatulat and/or fingers to pack the ingredients tightly, forming one large "base".
- Bake your granola on 160 C for 25-30 mins, until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Allow to cool for a further 30 mins or so as a base, before transferrign to your jar and allowing it to break apart. This is the key to good granola chunks!
- Add your dried fruit to the jar as you pour the granola chunks in. Seal tightly and store unrefridgerated.