The Healthiest Chocolate SlabJanuary 16, 2017
|Serves: 10 - 12||Prep time: 10min.|
The maca and mesquite give it a caramel texture, but feel free to skip it out if you don't have any in your pantry. Both are fabulous adaptogens which assist in stress management, hormonal balance and boosting energy, among many other benefits. Make this choccy in bulk if you are weaning off the store-bought stuff, so that you have something to turn to in "those moments". You could also try my easy hot cacao when craving 🙂 I like to make a sugar-free version with stevia or xylitol, but use a liquid sweetener like coconut nectar or maple syrup if you don't like the more grainy texture (blending significantly gets rid of this "graininess", so give it a go! You will be happily surprised).
For: 10 - 12
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp stevia, xylitol or coconut nectar/maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tahini or almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp maca powder
- 3/4 tsp mesquide powder
- 2 pinch's sea salt
- 1/4 cup almonds roughly chopped (optional, for texture)
- Simply melt the coconut oil in a small pot/pan over medium heat on the stove top. Keep the lid off and once melted, turn heat off. Note: if temperatures are warm and coconut oil is natural melted already, skip this step.
- Pour the coconut oil into a high-powered blender or processor with the rest of the ingredients (except chopped almonds + 1 pinch sea salt), and blend until smooth - about 10-20 seconds.
- Prepare a small-medium baking tray or dish with a non-stick baking paper liner. Once cacao mixture is smooth, pour into the lined tray.
- Scatter the top with chopped almonds or any other additions you like/have - goji berries, coconut, pumpkin seeds etc, and sprinkle the last pinch of sea salt.
- Cover with aluminium foil and place in the freezer evenly, so that it freezes in one even block.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes, or leave overnight.
- Break apart with your hands into pieces to enjoy! Servings depends on the size of your dish and how thin the cacao mix spread. I like to keep it under 1 cm thick. Store in freezer.