Acai bowls are everywhere – all over social media and at most cafe’s and markets – but have you tried your hand at making your own? My love for them grew in Brazil, where they were sold on the streets. I was in heaven! Having had the traditional bowls, I find most store-bought ones unnecessarily super sweet, tasting more like apple juice than Acai! Personally, I like to blend mine with water or coconut water, and let the fruit do the talking. Below is a go-to recipe of mine that I often make on weekends. I add a handful of spinach to get some greens in and often choose to put some protein in there for satiety. Tailor it to your tastes, sprinkle it with your favourite toppings, close your eyes, and imagine you’re on a tropical beach in Brazil!
- 1 packet unsweetened frozen acai (Amazonia is a good brand)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries of choice (I like raspberries and blueberries)
- handful fresh spinach (optional but reccomended)
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1/2 tsp stevia
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 1-2 tbsp cacao, optional (for a choc-acai variety!)
- Blend all the ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth but still thick. Add more ice for texture if required.
- Once ready, pour into a bowl and scatter with your chosen toppings.
- Topping suggestions: homemade granola, fresh fruit, coconut, raw nuts/seeds, chia, 1 almond butter stuffed date, mint leaves, bee pollen, cacao nibs etc.