My go-to savoury breakfast or quick lunch. I sometimes even just through everything in a blender or food processor and pulse it to make it even easier/lazier 😉
I think eggs are one of the things people find the "hardest" to give up when deciding whether or not to go vegan. I thought that would be the case for me, too. The good news is, taste buds change, rapidly! There are also so many other savoury options on the breakfast menu aaaand- you now are aware of Black salt... Black salt, or Kala Namak, is no ordinary salt. It actually tastes extraordinarily egg-like, due to its sulfur content. This makes it the perfect, easy addition to any veg dish for that "scramble flavour". Combined with nutritional yeast - you have that eggy cheesy combo reminiscent of an omelette.
The other fortunate thing is... nutritionally, eggs aren't all they've been cracked up to be 😉 They're sometimes referred to as "too much of a good thing" - they are filled with way too much cholesterol, saturated fat and even protein for our human bodies to breakdown and assimilate. Now, these excesses may be exactly what has attributed to their "popularity", but in essence, they're simply not the best sources for us. You can certainly get protein, health(ier) fat, choline and vitamins, without eggs in your diet, and from plant foods that also offer BENEFITS such as dietary fibre (eggs have zero fibre), anti-aging nutrients and are easier on digestion. What's more, cutting them out of or reducing them from your diet means you also cut down on your exposure to exogenous hormones and antibiotics. So enjoy this egg-alternative next time you feel the craving, and see how amazing you feel from this nutritionally-loaded meal!
- 100g tofus diced or pulsed in a blender
- 1 cup leafy greens kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup handful tomatoes / mushrooms chopped
- 2 tbsp. shallots or chives sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 tbsp. coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. black salt / Kala Namak
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- Pinch black pepper
- Optional 1 tsp cashew cheese, 1/2 cup sweet potato, 1/4 avocado to accompany the scramble
- 5 min
- 10 min
- Ready in:
- 15 min
- Allow garlic to sit in the pan whilst you chop other vegetables.
- Throw 1 tbsp coconut milk, the black salt and the tofu into the pan, breaking tofu further apart (if needed) with spatula to create "scramble". Cook for 3 mins.
- Add in your chopped veg and shallots and place lid on the pan to steam-fry for a further 3–5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Finally, add in the leftover coconut milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric and pepper. Fry for a final 3 minutes.
- Serve with any of the optional accompaniments suggested above.