I love this bread! It is completely gluten and grain free, made entirely from healthy fats. It is also vegan. I added the psyllium husk to boost the fibre content. Add seeds, herbs or spices to alter the flavour. It goes great with avocado, eggs, almond butter… just about anything you would usually use bread for. It also toasts beautifully. I hope you enjoy.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cups almond meal/LSA
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp bi carb soda
- 1 tbsp ACV/lemon juice
- 3 tbsp flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp carraway seeds, sesame seeds, rosemary, thyme, cracked pepper etc. Optional
- Combine the LSA/almond meal, coconut flour, psyllium husk, seeds, bicarb, baking powder salt and any additional herbs you like in a large mixing bowl. Ensure there are no clumps.
- Add the coconut oil, water and lemon juice to the dry mixture and combine well.
- Set the dough aside for 45 minutes – 1 hour, in a room temperature room covered with a tea towel.
- Once this time has passed, preheat the oven to 180 C fan forced. Line a small loaf tin with baking paper. The dough should have absorbed the water by now and will be stick to touch.
- Knead the dough using your hands for a minute or two and then shape it how you desire, either pressing it in to the loaf tin or rolling it and allowing it to hold its own (the dough should be thick enough to do this, if not, it will still work by just evenly filling the loaf tin).
- I like to top mine with scattered herbs and/or seeds.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, checking it at 1 hour.
- Allow to stand for at least 30 minutes before slicing it or serving.
- I recommend slicing the bread and freezing in bags unless you plan to eat within 2 days. It toasts wonderfully and freezes well!