Mushrooms and pesto are a winning combo every time 🙂 This is a lean, green, flavourful pesto that not only works well with the “meaty” base of the mushroom cup, it presents beautifully too! If you want the recipe to the burgers also pictured, click here! PS I used smaller mushrooms in this pic, I’d recommend larger ones and not scooping out the inside, just the stem 🙂
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon juice only
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 4 large portobello mushrooms stems removed
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- De-stem mushrooms and place them darker side facing up on a paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Throw the basil leaves, almonds, lemon, garlic and water into a processor and process until pesto-like, adding more water if required.
- Remove the blade, and stir/fold through the grated zucchini, salt and pepper.
- Once the mushrooms are ready, remove from the oven and tip the mushrooms out over the sink to get rid of the watery residue.
- Return to baking tray and scoop 1 heaped tbsp of pesto into each mushroom "cup".
- Place back in the oven to bake for a final 15 mins.